Tuesday 7 February 2012

Kaikoura and more...

This weekend we (read Matt) decided we should drive up to Kaikoura.  I learned a couple of things.

 Lesson #1:  don't believe NZ maps about whether it is a "highway" or not.  The #1 highway is often a very narrow (but paved or chipseal) road with cliffs extending to within about 12 inches of the pavement and an abyss on the other side.  If there actually is a guardrail (I use this term loosely) they really really mean it.   Joelle and Jamie both fell victim to the hairpin turns and switchbacks.  Next trip I am planning to make a "barf kit"  We were missing the days when a box or two of baby wipes were always in the van.   And this is the main drag.  Not a side road.







Lesson #2:  0.5 metre swells in are much larger in NZ than in North America.  (I think they were lying to fill the whale watching trip) I actually was seasick. 1st time ever!  Now in case you don't know... I grew up on the ocean, I am used to fishing in small dories and have sailed a bit in the past (read before children-  have my bareboat certificate and crewed a little on racing sailboats etc) so this was rather bizarre.  I'm blaming it on the drive up, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
We did get to see a sperm whale and some fur seals.
Matt, Luke and Adrian however, have stomachs of stone.






The water is a very different shade of blue, hard to describe and the pictures just don't do it justice.

More mundane stuff...

Groceries are more expensive, being a little island in the pacific ocean makes for added on costs regarding shipping etc.  Watch the sales and it is not too bad.  Dairy farming is HUGE here and milk is really expensive, about double what it costs in Canada ($4 on average for 2L) this does not make sense to me but apparently there is a huge overseas demand for New Zealand milk.  Go figure.  The general population is not happy over this and it is the news quite a bit.

Electronics are VERY expensive as are running shoes and anything plastic.  Stuff I got at the dollar store at home can range from $5 to $25 and up.  A plastic laundry basket is about $20 unless you find a great sale.  Water bottles can cost up to $50 but I found some for $6.50 (Jamie has lost his already, sigh...)

Gas runs at about $2.08 per litre,  thankfully Matt can walk to work and my commute is 5 minutes max.

One nice thing is that taxes are included on the shelf price, so what you see is what you pay.

However, sales are common and are really good.  I picked up a printer/scanner the other day for $39.

It feels a bit like a cross between Europe and North America.  Sizes of products are small, no Costco sizing here but some of the familiar brands are available and others are local.  You can get Smarties (not around in the ole US of A in case you did not know) Diet Pepsi does not exist so far that I have found but there is Pepsi Max and to Adrian's great joy the Mountain Dew is caffeinated.

The driving on the left is getting better, the roundabouts too.  Just look right and if you think you can make it, go for it!  People are quite used to getting cut off.   The more dangerous thing is walking and looking in the wrong direction when crossing the street.  Much safer to whip your head both ways b/c if you are not at a marked crosswalk, even on a corner you will get run over.

Here in Ashburton the little balls are orange but you get the idea.   I have not tried L handed parallel parking yet.  Might not ever...

That's about it at the moment. Joelle and I are going to look at a pony tonight but it is a bit far (30minute drive) so that may not work out.  There is also a pony club rally this weekend we are going to check out and ask around re lessons etc.  AND Adrian will be turning 15 on Sunday.   Luckily NZ just raised the driving age from 15 to 16 last year.  Isn't that great??!!!!

Cheers
jeanette

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, I guess I should have warned you about the roads... ;-) Miss you lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pics! Glad all is well and that you are making the most of it. Looking forward to your next blog! Lise

    ReplyDelete